Our Policy for Environmental Consideration
I. Our Commitment for Environmental Consideration
Namidabashi Lab’s objective in regard to environment is to contribute the increased sustainability of the natural environment as well as to realize the coexistence of our business activities and environment. For the objective, we take effectively actions to enhance positive environmental impacts of our activities as well as to alleviate negative impacts, in accordance to our cooperate mission; “To inquire how we can develop relationships with and among people, nature, and happenings of the world, such that we can reframe the social structure and our views on it”.
II. Principles for Actions for Environment Consideration
1. We make our business activities and office circumstances more environmental friendly, based on Tokyo traditional concepts and techniques for environmental management, as follows.
- “Mottainai”;It is a Japanese term conveying a sense of regret concerning waste. In addition, it can elaborates feeling and promote actions to reduce use of resources, and to reuse and recycle products. For example, to realize “Mottainai”, we greatly reduce use of papers and stuff to make for paperless office. In addition, we do “Uchimizu”, the traditional Japanese custom of sprinkling water collected from rain, into streets to mitigate heat in Urban area.
- “Hayane Hayaoki”;It is the concepts of “working with nature’s cycle.” For example, we maximize the use of natural lights and minimize overtime work at night by working with the cycle. It can reduce energy to maintain office environment at day and night.
- “Loving flowers and greens in urban area”;Some scholars reported that people in Tokyo like flowers and greens since the Edo period (1603-1868)*. Even today people in Tokyo is the same. They put plant pots on the street and surface buildings with green. Our office contributes to Tokyo green urbanism by decorating with plant pots around our office and making donation to the fund for urban greening by Tokyo Metropolitan Park Association.
2. We comply municipality’s and government relevant policy such as basic plan for environment in Taito-ward, garbage separation and recycling rules, JICA’s guidelines for environmental and social considerations.
3. We sensitize ourselves for environmental management actions by making opportunities to experience natural environment (e.g. participating biodiversity tour, visiting local exhibition or festival for environment, making plant pots as mentioned above, etc.).
III. Evaluation and Indicators of Environmental Impacts
Environmental impacts of our business activities are measured by the following indicators. Each year the targets of the indicators is set. The achievements of the indicators is analyzed and evaluated.
- Annual cost for hygeine management per working hour in Japan
（FY2018 target: 1% reduction from last fiscal year)
- Annual amount of electricity use per office area (m2)
- Annual amount of water use per working hour in Japan
- Annual amount of greenhouse gas emission
- The number of appraisal for environment consideration surrounding office form neighborhood
- The number of appraisal for environment consideration during business activities
* British scholar of gardening, Robert Fortune who visited Tokyo in 1860 wrote in his book “Regardless of social position, the clear characteristic of Japanese people is that they like flowers.” In addition, German botanist, Hans Molisch wrote in his book “A plant is an existence that has a soul for the Japanese, and it is important for them that it should be loved in the same way as a human being”.